[Openmcl-devel] CCL on Sonoma

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon Nov 13 10:03:30 PST 2023

I recently upgraded one of my M1 machines to Sonoma and tried building CCL and putting it through some basic stress tests.  It (mostly -- see below) worked.  In particular, I did not get any of the weird Rosetta crashes that have been observed on earlier versions of MacOS.  I think it's possible that Apple may have fixed this bug, and CCL under Rosetta 2 may be reliable now.  I have not done anywhere near enough testing to be confident that all of the problems have been fixed, but it's looking promising enough that it seemed worth mentioning here so that other people might be motivated to try it.

Note: I did have one weird error while loading code via Quicklisp: at one point I got a "bad file descriptor" error.  I was able to restart the process and it completed successfully, but this is still super-weird.  Given that there have been weird intermittent failures of CCL running under Rosetta 2 in the past I thought I would mention it in case anyone else encounters this.

As long as I'm writing, is there any news on the porting effort?

rg