[Openmcl-devel] The M1 port and the future of CCL

R. Matthew Emerson rme at acm.org
Sat Nov 25 01:50:04 PST 2023

> On Nov 24, 2023, at 10:56 AM, Mark Klein <m_klein at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> I'd contribute $$$ to a port as well. I use CCL on a Mac a *lot* and it sounds like it would be a real pain to switch to some other CL.
>
> Anyone have a rough idea of how much porting CCL would cost?

In the past, it has taken about 3 wizard-months to port CCL to a new architecture. People not as wizardly as gb was would take somewhat longer.

I was basically new to the system back when I ported it to 32-bit x86, and that took me about 3 months or a bit more. I was able to take advantage of a lot of the existing 64-bit x86 port, too.

It’s a fair amount of work (and an awful lot of staring at a debugger prompt, trying to get enough of the system working to cons a hash-table, which is a major milestone), but it’s not impossible.