[Openmcl-devel] IDE support for a remote Lisp via Swank?

Steven Nunez steve_nunez at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 21:11:48 PST 2024

 Wow.  This kind of comment really shows the value of 'tribal knowledge'.

    On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 12:44:07 PM GMT+8, R. Matthew Emerson <rme at acm.org> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2024, at 12:56 PM, Chris Hanson <cmhanson at eschatologist.net> wrote:
>
> Prior discussion makes it clear that a number of CCL users are using it because they prefer the IDE experience to that of emacs+SLIME. Has anyone worked on adding Swank support to the IDE, such that it can be used to interact with a remote (and potentially non-CCL) Lisp?
>
> That would be convenient for things like server-side development and HPC (run the IDE on your laptop, run the code on the compute server down the hall). It could also draw some users of other implementations to the CCL IDE, who might then hack on it as they use it.

At one point we had a “remote listener” feature that used swank to talk to a remote lisp.

Gail worked on it some years back. She implemented a swank-based protocol called “swink”, and added some support to the IDE for connecting to a remote lisp.

https://trac.clozure.com/ccl/changeset/15104

(see also the following https://trac.clozure.com/ccl/changeset/15105 as well as other changes in that general timeframe).