[Openmcl-devel] Tax deductibility of contributions to the M1 port

Tim McNerney mc at media.mit.edu
Mon Jan 1 07:16:53 PST 2024

I looked into this extensively the summer before last. There are a number or organizations who accept donations and manage payroll. In fact it’s quite common. The typical fee is 10%, which for a small non profit is quite reasonable IMHO. In the end we choose the easy route because the only “employee” was an intern, and direct payments outside the normal payroll mechanism was perfectly legal.

The legal work to set up a 503c(3) is a PITA. Now I think it might be worth the effort.

--Tim