[Openmcl-devel] Tax deductibility of contributions to the M1 port

David Cooper david.cooper at genworks.com
Tue Jan 2 08:44:53 PST 2024

Hi Ron,

Ron Garret wrote:

> so I am starting to think about how to structure things to minimize the collective financial risk.

Thank you.

>> Also, if anyone here has a contact at an existing 501c(3) that might be willing to partner with us please let me know that too.

In the U.S., The Common Lisp Foundation works with the ALU, which is an active 501(c)(3), for processing payments.

So in principle the CLF could manage payments for a CCL porting fundraiser at our payments.common-lisp.net host, and U.S. based donations would qualify as donations to a 501(c)(3).  We have in the past done such campaigns at the 10% rate that you mentioned, which includes a custom payment gateway (which happens to be running on CCL!) and paying of the Stripe fees.

Dave Cooper

---- On Mon, 01 Jan 2024 12:26:37 -0500 Laughing Water <lw at mt.net> wrote ---

I just had a phone visit with my daughter, who heads a 501(c)(3). This would be outside our scope, which is mostly human potential and cultural.

But what would be the point of a 501(c)3 other than being able to accept tax-deductible donations? It seems to me that the vast majority of donors would be able to write off the donation through their business or as an unreimbursed business expense.

If the point is that some form of business entity is needed for officially managing income and payroll, obtaining 501(c)(3) status may well be overkill.

Laughing Water