[Openmcl-devel] https://github.com/Clozure/ccl/releases

Grégory Vanuxem g.vanuxem at gmail.com
Sun May 5 20:49:40 PDT 2024

Hello folks,

The first time I wanted to try out Clozure CL I postponed its use
because I was lacking concrete information to build and/or install
CCL.
I just rebuilt a new image with code cloned from GitHub, and looking
at the documentation of how to build CCL I remembered what I was
asking myself at that time. Even if I did what I will say I was
unsure. I had absolutely knowledge about Clozure CL, just that it was
a Common Lisp implementation that conforms to ANSI standards.

 So if you don't know like me at that time, the name of the Clozure CL
executable, I think it could be handy to replace in the file mentioned
in object:

-- After unpacking the binaries, you can rebuild CCL by evaluating
(rebuild-ccl :full t) as usual.
++ After unpacking the binaries, you can rebuild CCL by evaluating
(rebuild-ccl :full t) with the usual lx${arch} executable.

Or something like that. It is really not a common name for an
executable, I guess some history is involved here, but even a shell
script, imagine CCL is installed in /usr/bin for example, you have to
use 'uname' or something else to evaluate CL code by CCL. This is not
very UNIX-likish.

In fact I did not try CCL, and only tried it one or two years later,
when I discovered 'roswell' [1]  that helped me to use it
conventionally, that is with help of someone who really knows Clozure
CL and really knows how to build it. And even with 'roswell', it is
not possible to build it, contrary to SBCL for example.

Just my two cents,

- Greg

[1] https://roswell.github.io/