Well, this morning I can't reproduce the name conflict issue. I was going to capture the emacs messages I was seeing, to help debug the problem. I decided to close & reopen emacs, so there would be minimum distracting info in the *slime-events* buffer. After restarting emacs I no longer see the name conflicts.
<div><br></div><div>I had previously stopped and restarted slime many times without restarting emacs. I had also restarted emacs multiple times in the past few days. It might be that this is the first time I restarted emacs since rebuilding ccl. </div>
<div><br></div><div>Anyway, it seems to be working the way you describe now, sorry for the noise.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks,</div><div><br></div><div>Neil</div>