[Openmcl-devel] "Binary" distributions

Hamilton Link helink at sandia.gov
Mon Feb 16 11:27:31 PST 2004

I would rather not see the form of what is currently called the
"binary" release to change, but possibly it would be better given the
label of "bootstrap" release. When I keep up with the latest version of
things, I typically update from CVS, unpack the latest bootstrap
(binary) release, and rebuild everything. None of this jeopardizes
things I may have changed, as long as the bootstrap release has only
the minimal set of files in it.

The "binary release" label could be given to precompiled lisp kernels
and images in a fuller directory structure -- under OS X, a .pkg file
would be ideal -- that has the examples directory, defpackage support,
etc. included to be more compatible with the mass public's
expectations. Then they'd be left to wonder (and presumably read about)
what the "bootstrap" release is for and how it's different. If they're
already reading the build cycle web pages, distinguishing between
ppc-boot.image and the bootstrap release shouldn't be as confusing.