[Openmcl-devel] Performance tips

Erik Pearson erik-list at adaptations.com
Fri Jun 23 10:17:40 PDT 2006

Hi Gary,

On Jun 21, 2006, at 5:10 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> You may want to look at "ccl:library;chud-metering.txt".
>
> Offhand, I'd have no idea why "a web app" would be any faster or
> slower in any particular implementation; that'd probably depend on
> what the application does and how it does it.  The interface to
> CHUD isn't perfect, but it can often give you a clearer idea of
> what your application's actually doing than you'd get from other
> means.

Thanks, I'll try CHUD.

The "web app"ness of this problem means to me that the app

- is multiprocessing
- does a lot of network i/o
- does a lot of string (both array and list of chars)
- does a fair bit of file system work

Not implied is that it relies on extensively on CLOS within several
major areas of the code (http protocol, url handling, web app plugin.)

The web app handles all http traffic, all file access, etc. It is not
a page-serving Apache module thing ala mod_lisp.

Not knowing how I've implemented this I realize there is not much for
you go to on.

However, all things being equal (i.e. my less than optimal
implementation of the above!), the app did slow down and I'm hoping
to rectify this. I'll try CHUD!

Thanks,
Erik.