[Openmcl-devel] TODO List

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Mar 22 00:57:17 PST 2006

Thanks for volunteering.   Both of those ideas sound worthwhile, but
they're also a bit large and potentially open-ended.

One idea for a project that's maybe a little more bounded but is definitely
significant enough to be interesting would be a review and upgrade of
OpenMCL's sockets API.  (There was a story some months ago about a
lisp project having to abandon lisp because - paraphrasing from memory -
they "couldn't do low-level socket I/O in OpenMCL".  I wasn't paying
much attention and haven't followed up on that, but my initial reaction
was - since I think of OpenMCL sockets as being a few system-call wrappers
and an inherited buffering mechanism - was surprise: I couldn't think of
any reason why the existing code would get in the way of doing arbitrary
lower-level things with the socket's file-descriptor, but of course that
reaction probably misses the point.  People presumably want a documented/
supported way of doing those things (whatever they are ...), and may
find it more expedient to switch platforms than to try to figure out
how to do them themselves.

It may be difficult to guess what the missing functionality was in
that case, but people have dome some analysis of existing CL sockets
APIs (see <http://www.findinglisp.com/papers/sockets-analysis-0-2-5.pdf)
and there may be some initial discussion about trying to standardize
on (at least) a set of desirable features.  Tracking that effort and
trying to make some of the improvements that the paper suggest is
clearly something that should go on the ToDo list; is that something
that you'd be interested in ?