[Openmcl-devel] Uncle!

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Nov 2 16:32:59 PDT 2007

"unrecognized selector ... sent to ..." means almost exactly the same
thing as no-applicable-method would mean in CLOS: NSWindows don't
define a method on #'#/addSubview:  Right now, we're happy enough
to just catch the ObjC runtime exception (and happy that ObjC raises
an exception for this rather than just crashing like its C cousins
would), but it might be possible to report that error in a way
that doesn't use terms like "selector" and "send/sent".

The idiomatic way of setting up a window's view hierarchy is by
obtaining the window's content view (#/contentView window) and
then adding subviews to that.  A simple example of this is available
at:

<http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/wiki/CocoaBridge>

and there's a more aesthetically-pleasing but slightly more complicated
example at:

<http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/wiki/GradientWindow>