[Openmcl-devel] Uncle!

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Sat Nov 3 17:42:26 PDT 2007

On Nov 2, 2007, at 4:32 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> "unrecognized selector ... sent to ..." means almost exactly the same
> thing as no-applicable-method would mean in CLOS: NSWindows don't
> define a method on #'#/addSubview:  Right now, we're happy enough
> to just catch the ObjC runtime exception (and happy that ObjC raises
> an exception for this rather than just crashing like its C cousins
> would),

Indeed.

> but it might be possible to report that error in a way
> that doesn't use terms like "selector" and "send/sent".

I wouldn't worry too much about that.  Now that I know it's no problem.

> The idiomatic way of setting up a window's view hierarchy is by
> obtaining the window's content view (#/contentView window) and
> then adding subviews to that.  A simple example of this is available
> at:
>
> <http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/wiki/CocoaBridge>

That doesn't really show how to add subviews, just how to set up the
original contentView.  But I'm making good progress and I'm sure I'll
figure it out sooner or later.

Just one more question: what state is the easygui code in?  I'm trying
to get that to work and using it as a model.  Is that wise?  Is
easygui supposed to be working?  Known to be horribly broken?  Is it
actively being worked on?

rg