[Openmcl-devel] [info-mcl] LISP status

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Fri Jan 18 06:45:34 PST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 11:08 PM, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> Can you try the following?
>
> 1.  Open "gears.lisp" and load it.
> 2.  In the listener, type: "(defvar*GW* (make-instance 'ad3d::gear-
> demo))".  A window should appear with some gears in it.

Works as expected.

> 3.  In the listener, type: "(ad3d::start-animation *GW*)".  The
> gears should start moving.

Works as expected.

> If that works, see if textures work:
>
> 1.  Open "voice-rings.lisp"
> 2.  In the listener, type:  "(defvar *RW* (make-instance 'ad3d::ring-
> window))".  A window should appear with a set of rings in it.  If it
> does not, you will need to create a link from the OAE resources to
> your home directory.  These are scattered around in the OAE
> tarball.  I usually create folder (~/resources), and symlink from
> "Examples/textures" and "fonts" to this directory.

I had to uncomment and edit the line that hard codes the texture-file
pathname (i.e., the symlink suggestion did not work) but this trivial
pathname issue aside:

Works as expected.

As an aside, I would suggest defining a single Open_Agent_Engine root
(defvar *OAE-root* #P"... or somesuch, which the user edits once, and
then defining all the other directories (fonts, texutures, etc.)
relative to this, much as CCL has the notion of the ccl directory. By
default, given the way the OAE is packaged, it should logically
default to #P"ccl:Open_Agent_Engine;"

> 3.  In the listener, type: "(ad3d::start-animation *RW*)".  The
> rings should start moving.

Works as expected.

> You should be able to pan/tilt/rotate, etc., while the images are
> moving.

Works as expected.

> It works fairly well, but I notice that if my computer goes to sleep
> the animation often deadlock.

I never let my machine go to sleep  - I generally just use the
password locking screen saver and a hot corner. There have been too
many issues with waking from sleep over the years that I just avoid it
whenever possible.

Thanks for packaging this for CCL. Let me know if there's anything
further you'd like me to test.

warmest regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.