[Openmcl-devel] Suggestions for IDE

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Wed Apr 28 06:55:53 PDT 2010

At this point the Mac version of the IDE can be used for real development. It is not quite at the same level as MCL''s Fred but gradually getting there. The Windows version has a couple of issues that are mostly due to missing functionality of Cocotron or some conceptual mismatch between Macs and PCs including things such as keyboard handling, menu control, clipboard functions etc. We are running CCL Mac and Win side by side via Parallels on the Mac sharing the same code base. I would not quite want to use the PC IDE for development but its just at the point of being usable for touch up. In  other words, develop an app including Cocoa GUI on the Mac, test it on the Mac, then run the same code on the PC with the occasional need to touch up the code using the PC IDE. Works pretty well. It is not quite ready for creating a project from scratch on the PC but the list of issues preventing that is relatively short. I think this will be a very exciting tool for cross platform Common Lisp development including Cocoa based GUIs.

Alex

On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:41 PM, Matthew D. Swank wrote:

> Well, you "are using the IDE on Macs and PCs pretty extensively."
>
> What counts as PCs in that characterization.
>
> Matt
>
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:39:53 -0600
> Alexander Repenning <ralex at cs.colorado.edu> wrote:
>
>> Define "usable"
>>

>> alex
>> On Apr 27, 2010, at 5:32 PM, Matthew D. Swank wrote:
>>
>>> What platforms currently have a usable IDE?
>
> --
> "You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to
> your grandmother." -- Albert Einstein.

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department