[Openmcl-devel] How to debug?

Ralph Möritz ralph.moeritz at outlook.com
Fri Nov 16 00:03:45 PST 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to debug a fairly complex library and would just like to
ask for some advice on how to go about doing so. I'm used to debugging
C++ and Go code using gdb and C# using Visual Studio, so the Common
Lisp approach to debugging via SLIME is somewhat foreign to me. I've
read up on BREAK and TRACE but what I really want is a way to step
into the code in order to better understand its workings. I've read
the CLHS page on STEP which is very vague and mentions that the
behaviour is implementation-defined. I've tried calling STEP on some
simple functions but it seems as though the functions are just run
normally - am I missing some detail here?

TIA,
Ralph