[Openmcl-devel] openGL

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Dec 17 14:35:13 PST 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, nik gaffney wrote:

> there is a list of opengl bindings at cliki
> http://www.cliki.net/OpenGL%20Bindings including those for MCL (based on
> reworkings of reworkings... .)  unfortunatly i havent spent enough time with
> openmcl + osx to see how far from, or close to, working any of these are.

Alex Repenning's "OpenGL for MCL" (<http://agentsheets.com/lisp/OpenGL.html>)
might be a very good place to start (it's designed for commercial MCL under
OSX.)

The parts that deal with Carbon (and with MCL's interface to it) might need
to be replaced (presumably with Cocoa equivalents and hopefully not too
much FFI tweaking); ideally, large amounts of the actual interface to
OpenGL could be shared.

One helpful step in the process of getting any set of OpenGL bindings to
work in OpenMCL would be to translate the header files.  (There are
OpenGL interfaces for OpenMCL under LinuxPPC, but not under OSX. I'd
guess that the LinuxPPC versions might -almost- work, but no sense
in pressing the issue ...)

I don't know whether or not Dr. Repenning is interested in supporting
OpenMCL, or under what terms is code is licensed.