[Openmcl-devel] Building CVS sources from scratch

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Sep 6 03:07:09 PDT 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Today I was trying to build openmcl from scratch from the cvs
> repository.

You're a brave man.

I should probably do something to fix this (using CVS branch tags, or
something.)  The main CVS branch is an arbitrary mixture of bug fixes
to the previous release and development code that's intended for the
next release.  Sometimes, the development code compiles cleanly with
the previous release binaries; other times (as now) there are lots
of bootstrapping issues.

<http://openmcl.clozure.com/Doc/cvsinfo.html> briefly mentions the
notion of checking out tagged revisions (e.g., "cvs get -r Version_0_13 ..."),
but doesn't really explain why one would want to do so.  (And CVS "-r"
tags are often "sticky" when one doesn't want them to be.)

Right now, it'd be more useful if people people doing a CVS checkout or
update got 0.13 (or 0.13+bugfixes) by default, and only got the bleeding-
edge pre-0.14 stuff if they really wanted it.  (I believe that I'm talking
about the distinction between the HEAD and MAIN CVS branches, but I know
just enough about CVS administration to be dangerous.)

I will RTF CVS Manual and try to straighten this out.  The problem's
a little more severe now than it has been in the past, but things really
should be set up a little differently.

> Did I do something wrong?

No.

If it's any consolation, things would have started to fail much more
spectacularly if you'd gotten much further ...