[Openmcl-devel] Building CVS sources from scratch

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Sat Sep 7 07:19:35 PDT 2002

I just thought that open source software should always be able to be
compiled from sources, and openmcl 0.13 certainly did (compiling its
own sources using itself). The next idea was to check out the sources
>from the cvs repository to see what new stuff was there (bugfixes would
interest me mostly I guess).

I think that most other open source projects support the main branch
(head) of their cvs repositories being checked out and built: this will
get you 'unreleased' software of course, the build might fail and the
resulting software might crash but normally things should go well.

If special, highly experimental or dangerous changes are made, you
should either keep them local or start a branch and commit your changes
to it. Later, you can merge that branch in the main one. In theory, you
should have automatic tests (like the ansi suite or compiling yourself)
that have to succeed before commits to the main branch are allowed.

Now the fact that you have a circular relation between the boot and
full image complicates things (gcc might have the same problem, no ?).

You can of course do very complex things with cvs (cfr. the mozilla
project, or jboss, and may others) but in the end you will shoot
yourself in the foot. We use cvs with occasional branches and unit
testing to good result.

Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:sven at beta9.be
Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be
.Mac - svc at mac.com - http://homepage.mac.com/svc