[Openmcl-devel] Building CVS sources from scratch

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Sep 7 13:34:07 PDT 2002

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> I just thought that open source software should always be able to be
> compiled from sources,

I juggled things around, re-committing the 0.13 sources as updates to
the pre-0.14 stuff I've been working on.  I then re-tagged everything
as "Version_0_13", then checked in 4 files that contain 0.13-specific
bugfixes.

I'll keep any development work that I'm doing that's incompatible with
the current release on a separate branch: people doing a "cvs get"
or "cvs update" shouldn't get any of this stuff unless they ask for
it (via the cvs "-r" option.)

Files that are now tagged as "Version_0_13" are identical in content
to the files used to build 0.13, but may have different CVS version
numbers.  "cvs update" might insist on grabbing new versions of these
files, even though the new versions are identical to the old.

I checked everything out and was able to build everything with the
0.13 binaries.  (One of the bugfixes enables kernel compilation
under Jaguar: a type definition moved to another Mach header file.)

"cvs log" will show a bizarre modification history, and it may be
difficult to glance at the web interface and tell what's changed
recently.  I think that this is better than the total chaos caused by
my doing development on the main branch ...)