[Openmcl-devel] utf-8 support in openmcl?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Apr 16 09:57:17 PDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Frank Sonnemans wrote:

> Is there any utf-8 support in openmcl?

No: all characters are BASE-CHARs and all strings are BASE-STRINGs;
characters are 8 bits wide.  (As I understand it, UTF-8 can be used
to encode characters that're wider than that.)

If any of these things were to change, I'd be most enthusiastic about
changing the last (making CHAR-CODE-LIMIT (expt 2 21) or thereabouts
and making a BASE-STRING be something like a UTF-32 string.)

> I could not find it, but need some utf-8 to 8 bit ascii encoding (OSX
> codepage) to parse database data transferred using xml with utf-8
> encoding.

If we're just talking about going from a sequence of 8-bit bytes to a
string of 8-bit characters, that sounds like a much simpler problem.
Let me R TFM and get back to you (unless someone more familiar with the
issue than I comes up with a solution first.)