[Openmcl-devel] create an executable from openmcl

Erann Gat gat at flownet.com
Thu Apr 17 11:04:50 PDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Taoufik Dachraoui wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to create a standalone executable program. I do not want
> to use openmcl to run the program!!
>
> Let's say I write a lisp program, then I would like to create a
> standalone running program without using openmcl.
>
> Is there a way to do this? (like when we write a C program than we
> compile it and link it to create an executable)

No.

The fact of the matter is that there is no way to do it with a C program
either.  That it appears that you can is actually an illusion created by
the fact that a large number of supporting libraries are ubiquitous and
well hidden.  Even a statically linked "executable" requires such
libraries -- they are called the "operating system."

To run a Lisp "executable" you need additional libraries that are not
ubiquitous and not well hidden (yet).  That is what makes it appear that
Lisp is different from C in this regard.  But it isn't.  The Lisp
libraries have to go somewhere.  You can hide them, just as the C
libraries are hidden, and give Lisp the appearance of running "standalone
executables" in exactly the same way that C programs give this appearance.
But that's the best you can do.

E.