[Openmcl-devel] Standalone binaries

Erann Gat gat at flownet.com
Fri Apr 18 10:28:43 PDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Taoufik Dachraoui wrote:

> the JVM is allover the places, not openmcl.

Sorry, can't help you there.  The world is the way it is.

> For this reason I am looking for a way
> to create an executable where all needed stuff is in it (excluding
> functions in standard unix libraries and system calls), so that my lisp
> applications can run on any unix system (I hope)!

First, there is no way to create a binary executable (in any language)
that will "run on any unix system."  If you doubt this, try to take any
binary from one unix system (like Linux) and run it on a different unix
system (like Solaris).

Second, Gary already told you how to create a standalone executable using
save-application.  You complained that it was too big, and I explained to
you why it had to be that big, and that the "fact" that apparently
self-contained C binaries appear small is really just an illusion.

The only way to achieve what you seem to want is to make openmcl as
ubiquitous as the JVM.  That is a worthy goal, but very difficult to
achieve.  You are probably better off coming up with another plan.

E.