[Openmcl-devel] mac types and creators?

Rick Taube taube at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 29 06:37:25 PST 2003

Hi, I'm running OPENMCL "Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.13.2" on OSX.
I have a program that computes .midi files and I want to play them
automatically after they are generated. Until I can figure out a better
mechanism I am current using the ccl:run-program to do:
	open -a /Applications/Quicktime xxx.midi

My problem is that Quicktime wont recognize xxx.midi as a midi file
unless its "Mac File Type" is set. In MCL there is a function called
ccl:set-mac-file-creator that I use to associate Quicktime with each
.midi file that i generate.  Howver, neither ccl:set-mac-file-type nor
ccl:set-mac-file-creator are defined in OpenMcl :(  I know I can use a
developer tool SetFile to set the file type but people who use my
program wont necessarily have access to this command.

What is the best way to asscociate mac file creators and/or mac file
types with a generated files from open mcl?

thanks for any info

Rick Taube
Associate Professor, Composition/Theory
School of Music