[Openmcl-devel] mac types and creators?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Jan 29 09:18:35 PST 2003

There isn't any way to do get at that stuff in the Darwin layer of
OSX (the SetFile tool is a command-line Carbon program.)

The question came up last spring, and I was able to write some
functions that used methods in the Cocoa Foundation classes to
get/set mac file type and creator information.  That code still
seems to work, and is enclosed.

The OSX Finder's "Get Info" dialog seems to offer a way (via the "Open
With ..." tab) a way to associate arbitrary files with specified
applications, and I believe that this association can be extemded to
other "documents like this" based in whole or in part on the file's
extension.  I don't know how to create such an association
programmatically (though I assume that there's a way to do so) and
don't know if/how such an association would make Quicktime accept
arbitrary .midi files.

If you have to step up a layer from Darwin to either set type/creator
info or to create the appropriate "association", you might consider
using NSWorkSpace's -openFile:withApplication: method (or something
equivalent in Carbon or CoreFoundation.) instead of running the
"open" program; I'd guess that "open" and -openFile:withApplication:
are doing pretty much the same thing internally.