[Openmcl-devel] popen is not happy

Jaap Weel weel at caltech.edu
Wed Jun 4 15:00:01 PDT 2003

It seems to me that if there really is a bug in OSX/Darwin, it should
probably be reported on
http://www.opendarwin.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi or wherever those
things should be reported.

> That's a good theory, but there are two problems.  First, you'd have
> the
> same problem if you wrote the following C code:
>   char * cmd = "ls";
>   char * mode = "r+";
>   return popen(cmd, mode);
> and if that were going to be a problem I would think there's be a
> pretty
> big warning in the popen man page.

> Actually, this looks like a bug in OSX's popen -- or a bug in their man
> page.  Popen does not normally support bidirectional I/O, but the
> Jaguar man page says it does, but aparently it doesn't.  I get the same
> results in Python and C. Bummer.

Jaap Weel                   Campus address:        | dorm (626) 795-9748
Caltech Undergraduate       Caltech MSC #874, Pasadena, CA 91126, U.S.A.
www.its.caltech.edu/~weel   Permanent address:     | home +31-46-4337033
E-mail: weel at caltech.edu    Kelderstraat 2-4, 6171 GB Stein, Netherlands