[Openmcl-devel] 0.14 and CVS?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Jun 8 15:55:24 PDT 2003

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Jon Buffington wrote:

> Mr. Questions asks:
>
> I am preparing to port CL-HTTP 70.159 to OpenMCL. I would prefer to
> target on 0.14 of OpenMCL. I am hoping this port will help test the new
> threading model in 0.14. I see there is a CVS branch for Pre_0_14. Is
> that the latest pre-release (0.14) tag?
>
> I assume I need to download the 5/13 binaries and interface files in
> the testing directory to compile the CVS files. Does it make sense to
> work off of HEAD for the port effort or is there a specific CVS tag
> (i.e. Pre_0_14) I should use?
>
> I hope I didn't miss this in the documentation somewhere.

That's ordinarily the idea: 0.14 is still pretty volatile, and the
changes tend to make it hard to bootstrap.  I've been trying to make
binaries available soon after making an incompatible, hard-to-bootstrap
change, so that people tracking CVS could (hopefully, usually) stay
in synch with the bleeding edge.  There's a "README

I sent mail to this list a couple of weeks ago, advising that I
expected the Pre_0_14 CVS code to be more volatile than usual while
some changes (trying to add some MOP functionality and change the
CLOS implementation a bit) were being added.  I expected that to
last a few days; it's been a couple of weeks (most of which were
spent in GDB ...)

I -think- that there's light at the end of the tunnel, and that there
will soon be 0.14 binaries that'll successfully compile the Pre_0_14
CVS HEAD sources.  (The most recent binaries - from May 13, IIRC -
probably won't easily compile today's CVS sources correctly.)

The last couple of weeks have been a little worse than usual, but I
would guess that the whole 0.14 testing procedure could be made smoother.
I'm not sure of the best way to do this.  (In hindsight, I should have
probably done the last few weeks' CLOS in some other way - perhaps on
an "experimental" branch.)

There's a README-OpenMCL-0.14.txt file in the /testing directory that
describes general 0.14 issues.  There's also a port of the
portableaserve web server to 0.14; it might be of interest if you're
thinking about porting CL-HTTP.

I'll send a message here as soon as reasonably stable binaries become
available.