[Openmcl-devel] The fate of WITH-PSTR and friends

Clayton Wheeler csw at thirdshoe.net
Sun Oct 12 16:55:58 PDT 2003

Hello,

I am working on some code which uses Carbon to find process serial
numbers, build and send AppleEvents, etc. I've been running 0.13, and
when I tried to test against 0.14, I found that the WITH-PSTR macro and
its relatives were gone from lib/macros.lisp.

According to CVS, they were removed in January:

revision 1.20
date: 2003/01/19 08:44:41;  author: gb;  state: Exp;  lines: +16 -41
PSETQ devolves into PSETF when symbol-macros are invoved.

Lose WITH-PSTR and WITH-RETURNED-PSTRS.

DEFPACKAGE signals PROGRAM-ERRORs for invalid/duplicate options,
allows the package name to be specified with any string designator.

revision 1.14.2.10
date: 2003/01/07 16:04:05;  author: gb;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -29
Remove WITH-PSTR, WITH-MANAGED-ALLOCATION.  WITH-CSTR uses LENGTH, not
BYTE-LENGTH.

Unfortunately, Pascal strings are still used in various corners of
Carbon. Would it be possible to resurrect these, or should I just fold
their old definitions into my code base?

By the way, OpenMCL works great for doing this kind of fairly involved
Carbon code; I've had this code in production at work for months with
excellent results. If anyone's interested, I may release the low-level
Apple Event library I'm building as open source.

--
Clayton Wheeler
csw at thirdshoe.net