[Openmcl-devel] The fate of WITH-PSTR and friends

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Oct 12 18:57:10 PDT 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Clayton Wheeler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on some code which uses Carbon to find process serial
> numbers, build and send AppleEvents, etc. I've been running 0.13, and
> when I tried to test against 0.14, I found that the WITH-PSTR macro and
> its relatives were gone from lib/macros.lisp.
>
> According to CVS, they were removed in January:

The logs show that they were removed from both branches around that
time.

> Unfortunately, Pascal strings are still used in various corners of
> Carbon. Would it be possible to resurrect these, or should I just fold
> their old definitions into my code base?

I think that most of the reason that they were removed had to do with
legacy MCL code that tried to deal with 16-bit strings and traditional
MacOS coding systems (and the fact that I forgot that there are still
things in Carbon that use them.)

Since the Pascal strings macros and utilities have been mostly missing
for a while (and since I'm not really sure that I remember all of the
Pascal-string stuff that MCL supported and that may have been in
various versions of OpenMCL in some form), it might be simplest to
put revived versions of WITH-PSTR, %GET-STRING, and whatever else
we can think of in a separate file that can be REQUIREd by code
that needs these things.