[Openmcl-devel] BBEdit as IDE?

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Mon Apr 5 13:46:33 PDT 2004

On Apr 5, 2004, at 12:58 PM, Stonewall Ballard wrote:

> Has anyone tried using BBEdit as an IDE (at least, a live editor) for
> OpenMCL? I'm tempted to write a plugin or extension for it that would
> make BBEdit usable, but if someone else has done that, I'll be happy
> to use that. The Shell Worksheet seems promising.

You've already heard from the Emacs/SLIME advocates, so I won't repeat
their recos (except to say that I've never really liked emacs heavy
reliance on multiple keystroke commands, and to note that Carbon Emacs
has some really serious problems with window scrolling). SLIME is nice
though.

FWIW, if you use a BBEdit Shell Worksheet with openmcl, you need to
enter a newline before each submitted command, or BBEdit will send the
'?' prompt as part of the entered command, and you'll get an error from
openmcl. So, for example, a session (cut and pasted) looks like this.
Note that the parens are balanced as you type, and Command-B is always
available, but that's the extent of BBEdit lisp support. Very primitive
by Emacs standards.

the problem:
openmcl
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.14.1!
? (* 5 5)

 > Error in process listener(1): Unbound variable: ?
 > While executing: "Unknown"
 > Type :GO to continue, :POP to abort.
 > If continued: Retry getting the value of ?.
Type :? for other options.

the workaround:
openmcl
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.14.1!
?
(* 5 5)
25
?

I think the OpenMCL IDE is already close to being on par with BBEdit,
and will soon surpass it in usability. Rather than write a BBEdit
plug-in, why not contribute to the OpenMCL IDE's lisp aware editor?

just my $.02

raf

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.
raffaelcavallaro at mac.com