[Openmcl-devel] hemlock

Hamilton Link hamlink at comcast.net
Sat Aug 7 20:55:30 PDT 2004

On Aug 7, 2004, at 11:33 AM, alex crain wrote:

> Ok, I did the whole thing again and it worked without CLX, so I must
> have done something wrong the first time.
>
> If you do:
> (require "CLX")
> (require "defsystem")
> (make::oos "hemlock" :load)
>
> You get a kind-of sort-of working hemlock using X11 windows. It worked
> enough to confuse me.
>
> Anyway - I think that we're on the same page.

Excellent. We are on the same page from a binary standpoint, so now we
should get on the same page goal-wise, I think we're in different
chapters still in that respect... I think a good way to proceed might
be to sketch out dummy front ends with the project builder's Interface
Builder tool or with lisp, and send screen shots (and the Interface
files, so they can be modified and exchanged) back and forth to one
another for a little while.

> I've already done some COCOA programming - Decoding your inspector
> code enabled me to write a file browser using nsOutlineView and I was
> working on a debugger using the outline model when I tripped over the
> hemlock discussion.

Debugger, debugger... you've used that term twice in this email, what
do you mean? Break loop? Backtrace? both and the Inspector? debugging
for me is a process, one involving looking at code, looking at data,
backtraces, looking at the contents of the error, etc., it's not a
window.

FYI I wouldn't mind someone making the inspector outline-based,
actually, instead of NSBrowser-plus-NSTable based. I think it would be
more compact and would show more of the objects in question.

> After looking at this, I'm thinking that a top level window should be
> tabbed with
> 	a listener pane
> 	a debugger pane
> 	an inspector pane
> 	a documentation pane
> 	an editor pane

Don't do the top-level-window thing. Why? Tabbed views are modal by
default. Modal views are bad GUI design for most things, and
programming is one of those things IMHO. You could do it for editors
(tabbed view, tearable tabs), but leave the listeners, inspectors,
backtrace, etc. as separate windows. I really can't emphasize this
enough.

The programming environments I like best make separate windows for
everything. You can see more, and you can have the things that you
_want_ to see at the same time, _visible_ all at the same time.

Emacs gets away with modality for two reasons: (1) it's a legacy mode
for terminals and is often used in that way, (2) emacs has split panel
and independent window modes that are easy to invoke, and it's totally
easy to switch between buffers without reaching for the mouse. Oh, and
(3) we want something that is _better_ than the emacs+slime package.

> If we used the main menus to manipulate the top level windows and make
> the panes
> tearable, that should be enough flexibility to make most people happy.
> Then we just cross link the whole mess so that you can pop between
> panes with a hotkey:

Not good enough. I want to see a mix of all this stuff at once. Keeping
all my editing windows neat and tidy (as long as they're tearable) is
the most I want the GUI to constrain me.

> break in listener ... switch to debugger pane
> backtrace to symbol ... highlight and check documentation switch to
> inspector
> browse in inspector .. find error. Select problem ... switch to source
> file
> recompile, back to listener continue or restart

Absolutely, positively, one hundred percent, no. You're over-thinking
the GUI, and popping back and forth like that you're guaranteed to piss
off the user. Those are subtle, process-smoothing features to add when
the functional parts are nice and solid, anyway, and if it's throwing
errors _and_ popping all over the place, no one will use it long enough
for you to figure out what the right process support level is.

For the listener, don't even switch to a debugger pane, whatever that
means. Just leave it at the break prompt, that's where a lot of
debugging happens. If you want to resize the listener window and make a
split window showing the listener plus the backtrace right away, THAT
might be cool. When I get out of the break loop it should resize.

> Since it doesn't look like anyone is actively working on the code at
> the moment, I'll pick up the ball and run for awhile. Feel free to
> offer unsolicited advice.

I will reiterate some of my unsolicited advice from before: concentrate
on the following first:
  - get what's there, working more solidly
  - get what's there, interacting more smoothly
  - get what's there, looking less funky
THEN you'll be in a much better place to make more substantive changes,
and you might start accumulating a user base to test things for you and
give you feedback.

> :alex
>
> BTW: could you send something to gary and ask him to put me on the
> mailing list? I seem to be falling into a black hole somewhere.

Gary says that your mail domains don't have valid DNS MX records, and
this makes the mailer daemon unhappy: