[Openmcl-devel] "dppccl --version" feature request

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Jan 21 11:28:45 PST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Rick Taube wrote:

> It would be very handy (well...at least for my programs) if 'dppccl'
> would support a '--version' command line option that would print the
> openmcl version number to stdout and then exit, preferrably without
> having to actually load up dppccl.image in order to do it. Would you
> consider adding such a feature to the system?
>
> Rick Taube
> Associate Professor, Composition/Theory
> School of Music
> University of Illinois
> Urbana, IL 61821 USA
> net: taube at uiuc.edu
> fax: 217 244 8319
> vox: 217 244 2684

The kernel has only a vague notion of its version number (though it
could certainly print this and exit.)  Currently, that vague notion
of the kernel version number is something like "0.14", and this is
just (barely) enough to keep people from mixing 0.14 kernels with
0.13 images.

Ideally, the kernel version number would have bumped itself every
time something in the ABI changed (new special binding code, new
G5-integer-overflow-detection, ...) and the image would indicate
at least the minimal kernel version it depends on.

For your purposes, is "0.14" an adequate response to "--version" ?