[Openmcl-devel] What is the state of the phemlock included with OpenMCL?

David Steuber david at david-steuber.com
Fri Jul 30 23:59:15 PDT 2004

Hi,

I've had a quick look at what is in the hemlock directory of the
OpenMCL distribution.  I also looked at
http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unk6/hemlock/ but I couldn't connect
to the CVS server to see what the latest state of portable hemlock was.
  Since Gilbert Baumann has the same initials as Gary Byers, I don't
know whos initials are even in the TODO file.  I suspect they are
Gilbert's.  Time stamps in those files are newer than the tar ball on
the web page.

I'm interested in having a go at porting hemlock to run as a Carbon
application.  Which sources should I use?

Also, I haven't seen any licensing statements anywhere.  Is Portable
Hemlock in the public domain like CMUCL?

I'm still a Lisp newbie (not to mention being an OS X programming
newbie).  I figure this is an opportunity to fix that and have
something better than Emacs + SLIME in the end for Lisp programming
under OS X (I am aware of Mikel Evins Clotho project).  I will most
likely use Bosco to make integration into Clotho easier if I actually
get anywhere with this.

BTW, I have no personal interest in any kind of elisp support.  Does
anyone actually have this besides Gilbert Baumann?  My thinking is that
if someone wants to add kitchen ware, it can be done in Common Lisp.  I
am primarily interested in a Lisp code editor that follows the Aqua
guidelines.