[Openmcl-devel] Interest in documentation reorganization?

Dan Knapp dankna at accela.net
Tue Jun 1 15:11:28 PDT 2004

   Alan asked about moving the docs to the wiki, and Brian asked about
moving
them to texinfo.

   Although I am a great believer in wikis, one thing about moving the
docs to the
wiki would be that the table of contents and index could no longer be
built
automatically (which they can be, at present), and if pages were
renamed, the
links to them would have to be updated by hand. Perhaps some futuristic
wiki
engine could use docbook or texinfo as its internal format?  That would
take care
of that problem.

   So far, I'm liking docbook (which I haven't used before).  It has
specific templates
for things like function reference pages, and it's easily edited using
nxml mode in
Emacs.  Nxml is a powerful mode which contains a full DTD parser and
validator.

   By making links target the xml id of a tag rather than the title or
number of a
section, docbook makes it possible to rearrange content with no fear of
breaking
any links to it.  When an xref is used for a link, it even lets you
change the title of
a section and have all links to it also change their titles.

   Also, as I said, docbook generates tables of contents and indices
with very little
assistance.

   I haven't used texinfo before, either, although I would be willing to
learn.
I suppose the main advantage of it is being able to read it from within
emacs.
Of course, it ought to be possible to achieve a similar level of
convenience with
any webbed documentation through trivial modifications of the
hyperspec-lookup
package.  So, the relevant questions are, does texinfo provide similar
features to
these ones?  And is there a convenient way to semi-automatically
convert 350k
of docbook source into texinfo source?

-- Dan Knapp