[Openmcl-devel] Interest in documentation reorganization?

Hamilton Link hamlink at comcast.net
Tue Jun 1 19:01:42 PDT 2004

As someone who thought about the need to revamp the documentation at
one time, but spent zero time actually doing it, my hat goes off to
you, sir!

Having said that...

I have read most of the implementation notes, about how the garbage
collector is implemented, the tag bit layout, etc. and find them all
interesting and important, so thanks for not making those bits
second-class citizens in some other doc (although certainly putting
them out of the way towards the end is the Right Thing). If you know of
any documentation on the compiler intermediate representations, please
include it as well. If it doesn't exist, perhaps GB and I can bash out
or at least outline some the next time we get together for lunch (er,
expect some editing required). I suspect it would be useful when the
time comes to do dramatic things with the back end.

Please if possible make the doc on the very front page have a link to a
tarball that unpacks the whole html docs (preferably including the
latest hyperspec alongside and cross-linked). One gripe I had about the
hyperspec is it's sometimes real difficult to find a tarball that I can
suck down and unpack for use when I'm offline. Maybe I can get this by
doing a CVS checkout but my impression was that it would involve a CVS
checkout and then a docbook build requiring suitable tools etc.

I believe some people (myself included, if I can find it...) have
prepared guides to building and using openmcl-compatable nib files from
interface builder, or building OpenMCL Cocoa bundled apps, such as
Alpaca. Those would be good to incorporate if you can get your hands on
them.

Also if you need example code for anything in particular, I have a
rubix cube app done with OpenGL calls and Cocoa widgets (NSOpenGLView,
etc.). I could write up something on it (like, related to the process
of picking the widgets you need, where to find in the Cocoa docs the
functions you need to override, and how to set up lisp implementations
of them) and provide you the code to pull selections from as you see
fit, just let me know what you want.