[Openmcl-devel] First draft!

Dan Knapp dankna at accela.net
Sun Jun 20 10:05:03 PDT 2004

   Well, I'm ready for y'all to see what I've done with the
documentation.  This is by no means
finished; it's barely begun.  However, it's at the point where it's not
as bad as what was up
before.  (If I say so myself!)  Therefore, it is my pleasure to
announce a first draft for
review.  No critique is too large, nor too small.

   The chapter I've edited most heavily is the threading one.  I went
through the "dictionary"
section there and did thorough content edits.  The changes I made there
illustrate what I
want to do for all the dictionary sections.  I was quite heavy-handed
with it, and I'm
wondering whether Gary will take issue with any of the things I did to
his prose. ^_^

   I've changed wording where it took too much knowledge for granted,
which usually
happened because it was presuming the reader had just gone through all
the preceding
descriptions in order.  I wrote one-sentence abstracts for every
function and variable, which
appear in the listing of that section.  I changed the formatting of the
syntax summaries, and made
the wording, particularly that of the parameter descriptions, conform
to some style rules
which I really should write down.

   I added extensive hyperlinks and cross-references, and applied
formatting to function and
variable names which appear in the body text.  I eliminated footnotes,
because they break
flow (call it a personal preference); they are either integrated into
the text, or moved into a
separate notes section at the bottom of the page, depending on their
relevance.

   The chapter I've edited least is the FFI one, which is ironic as the
FFI docs were a large
part of my motivation for this endeavor.  That's the only chapter in
which the dictionary
hasn't been separated out and put into <refentry> format.

   Anyhow, your reward for reading all the way to the end of the email
is that you get the
link to my provisional copy of the document:

	http://www.accela.net/~dankna/openmcl-docs/

   The front page includes a link to an automatically-updated tarball,
which should work
for local browsing as well as online.  The tarball includes all the
source and stylesheets,
as well as the final html.

   Gary, I guess I'll need commit access to the website CVS now, but
before this goes
live, there are several things which you will need to check by building
manually on
the webserver.

   First, check that the makefile works at all, and with the same
arguments which cron
gives it.

  Second, check the site-navigation menu at the top of the page.  It's
now added by
xsl, which means the files which tell the webserver to add it are
redundant.  I haven't
touched those files because I have no way of testing my changes.  Also,
I note that you
have now put up the wiki, and I don't know whether removing the
root-level
menu.mc and autohandler will break the navigation menu for it.  Let me
know if there's
any problem.  I'm hoping it can be made to work the way I have it,
because the way
it was, users wind up seeing invalid html, and the <title> is not
visible.

   Third, check that the standard xsl stylesheets are being read from
the local system
and not from the Internet.  This makes a major difference in the build
time.  I wrote a
description in the makefile of what exactly this means and how you
check it.

   If there's any difficulty, please write and let me know.

-- Dan Knapp