[Openmcl-devel] Interest in documentation reorganization?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun May 30 22:26:13 PDT 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Dan Knapp wrote:

>    I've now gone through and changed all the internal links from <ulink>
> to <xref> or <link>,
> the benefit being that they will continue to point to the correct place
> no matter how I
> reorganize things.  In the process of doing this, I found a couple of
> broken links, and fixed
> them where possible.  The CMUCL website is up at a slightly different
> address, but the iLisp documentation is still offline, so I noted that
> in the docs.
>
>    In imp-notes.html, which doesn't actually contain any implementation
> notes :), you link to
> http://openmcl.clozure.com/FTP/mcldoc/ for the TeX and PDF versions,
> which still works, and
> to http://openmcl.clozure.com/mcldoc for the HTML version, which
> doesn't.  In my own copy
> I've simply deleted the latter link.  It's a shame it wasn't in
> DocBook, or I could integrate it.
> I might try to convert it by hand, but not until I've done all the
> other big things I want to do.
> Have you still got an HTML version of this?

The HTML "internals documentation" is sort of back  where the website
said it was (<http://openmcl.clozure.com/mcldoc>).  That content was
generated from a LaTeX document, and the translation process embedded
hardwired paths to the navigation buttons in every page.  That was a
few machines and a few OSes ago;

The LaTeX file was in turn generated from a LyX (www.lyx.org)
document.  All of the stuff that's now in DocBook XML was at one point
maintained in LyX, which can export DocBook SGML.  I actually -like-
editing stuff in LyX, but DocBook SGML seemed to be a dead end.  At
some point not too long ago, I was able to mostly-automatically
translate from DocBook SGML to DocBook XML, and if we could remember
that process we could probably repeat it with the "mcldoc.lyx" file
(which is at http://openmcl.clozure.com/mcldoc/mcldoc.lyx).

The next issue is that that internals document was written in early
2000.  It might still be interesting, but it's at best about
half-accurate ... If there's interest in seeing an updated version of
this, I'll try to provide it.