[Openmcl-devel] CVS help

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Sep 19 16:29:18 PDT 2004

I'm not sure that there is a good way to do an in-place update.  0.14
and 0.14-dev are different CVS trees (different "repositories"); your
locally checked-out copy of 0.14 contains information (in the files in
the CVS subdirectories) about where (what CVS repository) it came from.

What I do is something like:

shell> mkdir SOMEWHERE/ccl-0.14-dev
shell> cd SOMEWHERE/ccl-0.14-dev
shell> cvs -d :pserver:cvs at clozure.com:/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14-dev get ccl
# this should create and populate a "ccl" directory

and then copy the 0.14.2-p1 binaries and interfaces into the new "ccl"
directory.

I believe that the 0.14.2-p1 image will compile the current bleeding-edge
sources without major problems; there may be some warnings about foreign
structure redefinitions (:* :t) and (:* :void) will eventually be seen
as synonyms; if you recompile a few times, there may be some point at
which they appear not to be.  (The warnings are harmless, in any case.)

There have been problems with code in the bleeding-edge kernel which
tries to use Mach primitives instead of POSIX signals to suspend and
resume threads; one symptom of these problems is a fatal "trap/bkpt"
if the Cocoa event thread is interrupted at the wrong time.  (The bug
causes interrupted system calls to return a bogus value; the Cocoa
event thread actually checks the return value and panics if it's
complete nonsense ...)  I think that I fixed this and just checked in
the proposed fix a few minutes ago.  (This is why it's called "bleeding
edge")