[Openmcl-devel] OSX install difficulties

Hamilton Link helink at sandia.gov
Tue Sep 28 11:33:56 PDT 2004

>          - b) % cvs -d
> :pserver:cvs at clozure.com:/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14-dev co ccl says
> that :
>
>                  ? .DS_Store
>
>                  protocol error: directory
> '/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14/ccl' not within root
> '/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14-dev'
>

>  I remember I have downloaded the source archive and extracted it in
> ccl's parent directory.

Um, if this is part of the process that I wrote down it'd be a mistake
to imply that you can do a checkout over top of the source archive.

The source archive is a CVS distribution from a different repository
than the dev version. The "-d etc." argument to CVS is telling it to go
to a specific repository to get the source code. You can't update from
a working copy taken from one repo to another directory in another
repository.

So, blow away your ccl directory (sorry) and follow the instructions a
little more pedantically. You do in fact need the binary distribution
for bootstrapping and you need to check out the 0.14-dev repo's version
of ccl (from scratch, not over top of what you have, if you ask me) and
unpack the binary distro and the interface database into it, then try
the build cycle again.

Let us (the list) know how it turns out please.