[Openmcl-devel] Welcome to OpenMCL Version 1.0-pre-050824a (DarwinPPC32)!

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Aug 27 15:08:16 PDT 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, David Steuber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently updated with CVS and grabbed the latest binary image and was
> greeted with the subject line after I did a build.  Does this mean that a 1.0
> release is planned in the near future instead of 0.14.4?

Some people had suggested that naming it as an early beta was misleading,
and that there's enough new stuff, changed stuff, and fixed stuff to
warrant a change (from 0 to 1) in the major version number.  The biggest
argument against changing that that I could think of involved renaming
the CVS trees, and it looks like that'll be fairly easy.  (If renaming
the CVS trees wasn't easy and was an impediment to changing the major
version number, we'd be stuck at 0.14.x forever ...)

> What's on the roadmap for a 1.0 of OpenMCL (that hasn't been
> mentioned in the GUI topic Hamilton posted recently)?

For 1.0 ?  Pretty much what's in bleeding-edge CVS now, + last minute
fixes for killer bugs (and the usual ill-advised last-minute changes
...)  That's mostly a lot of bug fixes, reimplemented EGC, the 64-bit
version, interface database changes, better Tiger compatibility,
better compatibility with Linux distributions that use TLS/NPTL, and
other stuff that I'm forgetting.  (I have to go through ~5 months of
ChangeLog entries.)

For 1.1 ?  Whatever the differences are, they'd likely be more
incremental.  It's been 5 months since 0.14.3.  Doing 1 release
a month may not be practical, but doing more regular releases (every
two months ?) might be.

> This is really cool.

If anyone who has the chance to pound on the current bleeding edge
version over the next few days could do so, that'd be helpful.  There
may still be a high-visibility killer bug or two lurking around (and
there are almost certainly obscure ones lurking around ...), and if
they have fixes that don't seem risky/time-consuming it'd be good to
try to fix them.