[Openmcl-devel] Moving large amount of data with OpenMCL

Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. bsder at mail.allcaps.org
Sat Jan 15 14:14:18 PST 2005

I'm about to start the process of moving an old program of mine from
Python to OpenMCL.

The program processes large (>1Gigabyte) datasets stored as XML.

However, pulling this data in from disk is slow; sorting it is even
slower.

So the question is: how should I store this and how should should I
pull it into memory for efficiency?

There are probably two different questions here.

First, how do I store and process the stuff meant for interchange (ie.
it goes to disk and possibly to another program)?

When you strip away the XML stuff, the records are effectively:
((xmin xmax) (ymin ymax) objectid (objectid linkage) (polygon
description))

Normally, I would write some form of loop with parsing callbacks in any
other language.  However, that strikes me as very "un-Lispy".  This
feels like it should be macro magic, but I'm just not experienced
enough at Lisp to know what I should be doing.

Second, is there a way that I can "freeze" the data image of a running
openmcl instance and push it to disk for a later reload.  It would be
nice to not have to reload, reprocess, and re-sort this data every
time.  Being able to just let openmcl suck in a memory image or
something would be a lot better.

Thanks,
-a