[Openmcl-devel] Apple to switch to Intel - what does this portend?

David Steuber david at david-steuber.com
Mon Jun 6 13:49:34 PDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 11:08 AM, Nikodemus Siivola wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Richard Newman wrote:
>
>> There was discussion about this last night on #lisp.
>> If it does, then it's a bad thing for OpenMCL's internals. Switching
>> to targeting x86 is a lot of work that's unlikely to be done.
>
> If this is in reference to dsteuber's assertions (I could find nothing
> else in the logs), then I for one would prefer to hear it from an
> actual OpenMCL hacker before believing such claims: there is a Sparc
> backend already, after all.

I probably got the wrong impression from someone else about the
complexity of porting OpenMCL to x86.  Certainly I had the notion that
it was work that probably wouldn't get done.

I would be very glad to be wrong on that point.  OpenMCL is also my
favorite Lisp.

I was really hoping that Apple wouldn't be abandoning the PPC though.
I've been wanting to play with LAP at some point and the thought that
any LAP code will be obsolete in a few years puts me off.

Anyway, I'm sorry for spreading any misinformation.