[Openmcl-devel] Apple to switch to Intel - what does this portend?

David Steuber david at david-steuber.com
Mon Jun 6 14:12:06 PDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 4:49 PM, David Steuber wrote:

> Anyway, I'm sorry for spreading any misinformation.

Just as a sort of excuse, here is a direct quote from a knowledgeable
person that gave me my impression that OpenMCL would not go to x86:

"Oh, and another good bootstrapping question is "What would be involved
in porting openmcl to another platform?" Meaning another risc
architecture with plenty of general-purpose registers, like to Sun or
SGI boxen? (Porting to x86 or P* probably constitutes yet another
question, and a less welcome one, because register allocation is so
different. The answer to this one, I know: use some other lisp and
write some libraries to ensure you can write to consistent lisp system
APIs.)"

It is possible I misread this.