[Openmcl-devel] Cleaning/Rebuilding all fasl files

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Oct 29 21:20:35 PDT 2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, David L. Rager wrote:

> Howdy All/Gary,
>
> I just updated my cvs dev version and dppccl image file.  How do I recompile
> all the files so that I don't get the "Wrong FASL version" error message
> when issuing "(xload-level-0 :force)" (errors immediately on l0-hash.lisp if
> that's relevant) as part of the build process?  I tried doing a (compile-ccl
> t) just for fun and am still getting the message on l1-utils.lisp.

Both XLOAD-LEVEL-0 and COMPILE-CCL will sometimes REQUIRE other files
at compile time.  (It'd maybe be nicer if REQUIRE skipped a stale fasl
file and tried to load the source instead.)

> Thanks,
> David

>From the shell:

shell> cd ccl
shell> find . -name '*.dfsl' | xargs rm

>From inside the lisp, you can do something like:

? (mapc #'delete-file (directory "ccl:**;*.dfsl"))

In both cases, looking at the "find" or DIRECTORY output first wouldn't
be a bad idea, just to be paranoid.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to have a NUKE-CCL-FASLS function (and to
have XLOAD-LEVEL-0/COMPILE-CCL take an extra option that called it.)

> Ps - sent to list serve so the answer is there if it becomes searchable
> again.

The guy who maintains the patch that makes Mailman list archive searchable
had a disk crash several months ago.  His site seems to be back up, but
(as of a few days ago) the FreeBSD Mailman "port" hadn't been updated.
(It's probably not too hard to apply the patch manually - and reinstall
the Mailman software without using the FreeBSD build system - but I haven't
tried.  There may also be other ways of maintaining the list archives
(mhonarc ?) that may offer other search interfaces.)