[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL Versions

Phil pbpublist at comcast.net
Mon Aug 14 10:21:13 PDT 2006

I've got a 64-bit capable G5 but have never bothered to fire up 64-
bit OpenMCL partly because much of what I'm doing right now is Cocoa-
related (which isn't currently 64-bit) and partly because I'm
skeptical that I'd see any benefit without data sets that require it.

I think 32-bit Intel would be of wider general interest right now as
64-bit would only run on a subset of shipped Intel systems, 32-bit
would run on all of them.   (Obviously, I'm not referring to the
subset of apps that need 64-bit today.)  Longer term, 64-bit may be
the way to go assuming that OpenMCL could realize a performance gain
that offsets the increased executable size and memory usage.