[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL Versions

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Mon Aug 14 16:09:01 PDT 2006

On Aug 14, 2006, at 2:03 PM, Hamilton Link wrote:

> Phil makes a good point and I'd normally be inclined to agree, but
> I am
> guessing that the openmcl user base will be moving to Core 2 faster
> than
> an intel 32-bit port will happen, particularly since everyone already
> knows that 64-bit will be supported and at least for the moment 32-bit
> isn't.

Right, but this assumes openmcl programmers never distribute apps. If
you do, then you have to consider that every intel mac shipped until
last week, and millions which will continue to ship until the iMac,
MacBook and MacBook Pro lines are updated, is 32, not 64 bit. That's
a fair number of machines to say "well you just can't run this unless
you buy a new machine."  It would be one thing if these were ancient
G3s, but these 32 bit intel machines are more recent than the 32bit
ppc machines which openmcl does run on.

Also consider that Apple have stated that 32 bit intel apps will run
unchanged under 10.5. It seems like supporting 32 bit intel is
unavoidable unless you never distribute your software to other mac
users.

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.
raffaelcavallaro at mac.com