[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL Versions

Justin Fagnani-Bell justin2 at fagnani.com
Thu Aug 17 13:29:53 PDT 2006

You make, of course, some good points about the size of the
interested audience and the amount of donations needed to fully
support a IA32 port. I'm surprised at the amount of work you
estimate. I know hardly anything about the x86 ISA or what's involved
in a Lisp implementation (I gather it's very low level). It's too bad
that it can't be written so that a few #DEFs and compiler flags will
produce either a IA32 or EM64T version.

Would partial finding make a port more worthwhile? Probably not that
much, but I think you should have a way to donate anyway, since your
work is still valuable to many, many people who might be interested
in saying thank you and helping the cause.

For me, I'm looking to LispWorks which is one of the few (only?)
other Lisps that has Cocoa and Intel support. Unfortunately I can't
afford the Professional Edition and the free Personal Edition is a
version behind and so doesn't support Intel yet. In a couple of years
when I upgrade to a 64-bit Mac I'll hopefully be able to use OpenMCL.

Thanks,
   Justin