[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL Versions

Hamilton Link helink at sandia.gov
Thu Aug 17 17:48:06 PDT 2006

Strictly speaking, for LispWorks it should have been more nearly a
matter of #ifdeffing things or comparable cut-and-pasting, because
LispWorks ran on x86 on windows and linux already.  So if they get a
dozen customers they're probably not far from recovering their expenses.

In contrast, it's been quite some time since openmcl ran on something
with less than 32 or however many general-purpose registers (well... I
think there was a strongarm port, what does that have 16 regs?), and
it's a big hassle to change the way a compiler does register allocation,
particularly when it's a lisp compiler which has to allocate registers
in a garbage-collection-friendly way, and wants to have a lot of things
with register-speed access to begin with.  If you find LispWorks
difficult to afford it will probably be difficult to adequately
compensate Gary for the required effort... Plus for something comparable
to an openmcl port fee, it's my understanding any Intel Mac Mini or new
iMac user can buy a Merom (already on the market, just not in Apples,
right?), pop it in their system,* and be running the 64-bit version of
Tiger, without distracting Gary from bigger things.

'scuse me, I think I'm going to go run out and buy a Mini, I've just got
to try this...

* OK, so any Apple Mini or iMac owner who wants the hassle and doesn't
mind probably invalidating their warrantee...