[Openmcl-devel] Plans for Unicode support within OpenMCL?

Takehiko Abe keke at gol.com
Tue Mar 21 04:18:53 PST 2006

James Anderson wrote:

> aha! interesting to hear. that means you have been satisfied with
> apple's utf-16 encoding

well... No, I'm not particularly satisfied with UTF-16 -- I mean
I am not satisfied with Unicode. For instance, I don't like its
combining characters. Lots of experts spent great amount of time on
it, so I guess combining char is really necessary for Unicode.
But I still don't like it. And supporting Unicode means that you
suddenly need to care about the languagess you don't really care.

> and never really missed "knowing" where anything specific is in
> the string?

What do you mean by "anything specific" and "apple's utf-16"?
Are you talking about CFString?  (I do not like it.)

T.