[Openmcl-devel] Unix domain sockets broken in Darwin x86?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Nov 21 00:35:48 PST 2006

I was going to say that aside from potential x86 vs PPC issues
(endianness), the fact that a lot of stream code (including socket
code) was rewritten and reorganized meant that that was also
a likely suspect; the actual culprit seems to have been Unicode.

Way back when, it was possible to copy a lisp string to foreign
memory by just BLTing some number of 8-bit bytes/octets around.
That worked fine, because lisp strings were just vectors of octets
each of which encoded an 8-bit character code.

If lisp strings are vectors of 32-bit (well, 21-bit ...) character
codes, copying each of those octets to foreign memory (via some
low-level BLTing function like CCL::%COPY-IVECTOR-TO-PTR) won't
work so well (it'll usually copy about 3 NUL octets per character ...)

This (BLTing octets from a lisp string to foreign memory) is what
the function CCL::INIT-UNIX-SOCKADDR (in ccl:level-1;l1-sockets.lisp)
was doing; that seems to have set the socket's "address" (pathname
in the case of Unix sockets) to random nonsense with a lot of NULs
in it, and (unless there was a named socket whose name was the same
random nonsense visible) the connect would fail.

I checked a fix for this and a few related issues into CVS a few
minutes ago and it seems to work, at least in a simple test case. It
should be easy to bootstrap the changes to l1-sockets.lisp from
the 061110 images.