[Openmcl-devel] Foreign Function Questions

Brent Fulgham bfulg at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 25 17:38:10 PST 2006

On Nov 25, 2006, at 11:03 AM, Hamilton Link wrote:

> With regards to objective C, the cocoa way of doing OpenGL is to
> set up an NSOpenGLView (or several) and set one or another of these
> views to be the opengl drawing context.  Then the following
> sequence of opengl commands will be rendered to that context.  I
> found the easiest thing to do was to mostly write straight opengl
> calls (particularly since the rubix demo was originally entirely in
> C++) and extract macros and classes when I saw idiomatic things
> conducive to reuse.

Yes.  It would be nice to localize these in a single package
("opengl" or something).  I'm wondering if this should basically
follows the model of "cl-opengl" (http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-
opengl/), or if it should just be its own animal.

> There are more substantial non-lisp abstraction libraries written
> on top of OpenGL.  A lisp port of those might be extremely
> interesting, although I don't know if it would have a large audience.

Do you mean something like OpenInventor, or are you thinking in terms
of something else?

-Brent